Friday, June 3, 2011

Blogging Mamas Who Rock: Ashley

This week's Blogging Mama Who Rocks is Ashley of Lisa Freemont Street! She blogs here and also regularly adds new videos to her youtube channel. In addition to her lovely vintage hair and makeup tutorials, she also does product reviews, movie reviews and even the occasional cooking video.

How did you first get into blogging and making youtube videos?


I started making Youtube videos when I noticed that there were very few retro styling tutorials on the site. Also, most seemed t be for longer and thicker hair than mine. I decided to make a 'Rita Hayworth' inspired tutorial for fine hair and ended up getting a large number of requests based on just that one. From there, I discovered that I had more to say than the videos allowed...so the blog was my next step.


What first drew you to vintage fashion?

I have always loved the style of 1940's and 1950's actresses on film. I never knew that dressing like them could be as simple as 'retro reproduction' clothing. When I got a computer, in 2004, I realized that I had a new avenue to shop for both Vintage and Vintage Inspired clothing. After that, I became even more inspired to recreate the styles I loved from the cinema.

For a more in depth look at Ashley's evolution in style, check out this post she wrote last month.

What’s the one accessory you can’t live without?

I adore flower clips. I couldnt go w/out them. I also adore my pearl necklace that was a gift from my husband.

Tell me a little about your kids.

I am a mother of three boys who are as different from one another as can be. The oldest is an academic, analytical type. The middle one is the high energy comedic one. And the youngest is the sensitive, sweet one. Now, I also have a girl and even as a young infant she is entirely different from the others when they were babies. It's a constant learning experience and an exciting ride.


What is the most difficult part of being a fashionable mom?

It can be difficult to find the time to set my hair or do my makeup if the boys are fighting or the baby is crying. But since I really enjoy it, I can usually make time for styling. I am also very routined. So I tend to plan our outings around 'getting ready' time as well.


If you could give your daughter one piece of advice about fashion, what would it be?

Though I'd love to see Ruby become attached to Vintage fashion, I mainly just want her to be happy with who she is. I want her to enjoy spending time with us as parents, even if she isn't into the music and culture that we love. But I do hope she'll always embrace her femininity and her independence. And I hope she'll always take modest pride in her appearance.

Thanks Ashley for being a Blogging Mama Who Rocks!

1 comment:

  1. i haven't seen her tutorials in forever but I always remember one of her little ones in the videos. . probably the third born. I didn't know she had so many kids. that's rough work!

    ReplyDelete