Thursday, June 20, 2013

The Importance of Silhouette


When going for a vintage look, silhouette is important. It really goes a long way towards making you look authentic vs costumey.


A while ago, I mentioned on facebook that I had bought a vintage style bra at Kohl's and I've been trying it out ever since. (You may have spied it in a few previous outfit posts.)


 The bra I choose was Playtex 18 Hour Classic Support style 20/27 wire free. The website lists them a bit odd and B&C are here and D&DD are here.


 I did have some trouble with finding the right size. One cup size was completely full, possibly too full but the next cup size up had a lot of empty space. I went with the smaller cup (which was smaller than the cup size I wear in modern bras. I'm still not sure I ended up with the correct size but the shape is definitely more 40s/50s! :D


Tasha of By Gum By Golly has an excellent post on how to find a great 40s style bra. That's what I used when shopping for my bra. Hint: You'll want to look in the old lady section.


And goodness, it sure worked! My girls are definitely NOT modern shaped. They are higher, pointier and quite separated. Check out this outfit with a modern bra here.


It looks great under sweaters (and vintage dresses) and just gives a bit extra umpf to my look. I'd definitely recommend this for you gals looking for an affordable vintage style bra.


It's pretty comfy and isn't too odd looking. I don't have quite enough guts to wear a bullet bra. This particular one gives a nice 40s/conservative 50s shape.



I'm so happy to finally have this piece of my vintage foundations down! Costuming has taught me that the correct underpinnings are so important! Do you wear vintage style undergarments or do you stick with normal ones. What's your favorite brand?

15 comments:

  1. I've heard recommendations for this bra before. I like the silhouette you have! Unfortunately, the smallest band size is a 34, and I need 32. The one I'm using now is unfortunately an underwire, but other than that I really like the look. It's the Bali "Flowers" bra.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I totally agree that you have to have the right under garments for these vintage dresses. I think I'd like to try out this bra too. I've bought some things from What Katie Did. Corsets are not something I'd like to wear on a regular basis but I do think they help to give a "New Look" appearance.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You're SO right!! A perfect outfit begins with what you put on first! :) My favorite vintage style bra is the exquisite form full-y bra, which are pretty cheap if you look around online. They also have a fuller cup. I bought two that were too big but they fit perfectly with an added dart at the side. Amerimark has some great, cheap old lady bras.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Fantastic outfit and post - I completely agree! I've been buying vintage or vintage appropriate bras for years now (especially longlines, which I find to be a lot more comfortable for me) and think that they're an integral part of getting the best of one's vintage clothes, which were designed back in the day with undergarments of the day in mind.

    ♥ Jessica

    ReplyDelete
  5. I need to get my mitts on a vintage-style bra - it achieves a great look!

    www.mancunianvintage.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. I really do like playtex bras for myself. Being, well endowed those cutesy girly bras just don't cut it!! But playtex does the job. I've thought about getting one of these, but wasn't sure how the fit is. I usually need under-wire for support. I may buy one and see how it works.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought I'd miss the under-wire too but I really don't!

      Delete
  7. I couldn't agree more!

    I recently, finally, found a longline bra in my size. So comfortable!

    ReplyDelete
  8. So very helpful. I have been shopping for one, found one that will work ok at Kmart but Now I am heading to Kohls! Its also important to wear a full slip. Its helps lay dresses and skirts right.
    Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Look how amazing you look in this!! That is so interesting that Kohls sells vintage-like bras. Most stores never hold bras in my size though (an unfortunate A cup).
    +Victoria+

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow, that makes an amazing difference! I think it really does make the most flattering effect on one's figure. I have some trouble finding appropriate undergarments, as I am very flat chested... perhaps I should work up a post for other gals with the same trouble.
    (And I just HAVE to comment on your hat! It's perfection.)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I hadn't considered that this would make much of a difference, but from looking at both posts of the same outfit I would say it definitely does! Looks like the older style bra seems to foster better posture too!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I really like the silhouette of this bra. It's hard to find vintage style bras in 32C/D, but this one works pretty well for me. It's usually quite comfortable (even enough to sleep in), but I find when I wear it all day on a hot day, in which I sweat more the usual, I can get painful welts that last for the next couple of days... which is not something I've experienced with any other bra. Stephanie, have you had any issues with it so far?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hmmm...that's so odd. I've not had any issues like that. You might try wearing it one row of hooks looser than usual so it's not so tight on your rib case.

      Delete
  13. You're so right about foundation garments making the difference to a vintage look vs costumey. I have recently started wearing original 1950's bustiers as my everyday bra- they are amazing! They enhance and lift the bust and pull in the waist. I am a bit like yourself re the bullet bra, still trying to decide if I have enough guts to wear one. Great post. xx Shauna

    ReplyDelete