Thursday, February 13, 2014

Back to Basics

Sometimes, it's great to just have a bunch of basics that you can throw together into an outfit. And by sometimes, I mean all the time.


And that's just what happened with this outfit. Basic green skirt, basic white shirt, basic blue sweater and basic(ish) tan hat.


The blouse is Advance 5900 that I made last September.


The hat is a recent find from a local vintage store called Feathers. I just love all of the beading that is still in mint condition! I'm sure I'll get loads of wear out of it! (Those of you who have already started following my brand new instagram will have seen it already.)


The pullover is a new knitting FO. I actually finished it right along side my Knit for Victory project but haven't gotten a chance to wear it until now. It's the Sport's Sweater from A Stitch In Time Vol. 2 although I can't imagine actually doing sports in this sweater (or really any sweater....). It was quite fun to knit but I got side tracked when it came to picking up all of the stitches for the ribbing at the neckline. Two things I do not enjoy knitting....


The skirt is McCall 7032 which is a basic gored skirt with a pleat in the front. I was inspired by Rochelle of Lucky Lucille's lovely basic green skirt and I just *had* to have my own. (and I may or may not have had the exact same fabric she used in my stash.....) I need to go back in and re-enforce the pleat a bit more but I can see this getting loads of wear!


My green check conure Kiwi posed with me for a few shots. I blew him kisses.


And he gave me kisses back! Love my baby!


What are your favorite basics to wear?

8 comments:

  1. I'm starting to sew more 'basics' I have far too much pattern. And the patterned skirts and blouses clash. So I'm having to make an effort for every pattern I make something in a solid colour to compliment it. e.g. floral blouse, plain skirt.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The sweater is great! By "sports" I'm sure they mean golf and tennis, for which it would be perfect lol.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And also anything you don't do outside the work place. You know, "sportswear"!

      Delete
  3. Awe, what a sweet little feather baby!! I think I need a green skirt too after seeing yours and Rochelle's.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow-really really lovely-I love the green color! Ines

    ReplyDelete
  5. The pullover is amazing, and the skirt, and, well... all of it! I'm hoping to make a sweater like that soon. I just love the look of it.
    I wear my 1940s style jeans ALL THE TIME. Especially during this cold weather! They're my absolute favorite!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Gosh, do I love this outfit! Yes, it's full of basics, but together they're anything but. In fact, my first thought when I saw this great look is how much it makes me think of something my maternal grandma might have worn as a young lady in the 40s.

    Big hugs & tons of joyful Valentine's Day wishes!
    ♥ Jessica

    *PS* Thank you from the bottom of my heart for your touchingly sweet blog comment today. It brought tears to my eyes. ♥

    ReplyDelete
  7. Darling outfit! And Yay instagram! Now following you!

    xoxo
    -Janey

    ReplyDelete