Monday, February 17, 2014

HSF #3: Pink

This Historical Sew Fortnightly challenge was to make something pink. I like pink and I had a few yards of dusty rose pink rayon in my stash. I paired it with a great early 40s pattern for a sharp look.


(I am susceptible to the colors on the pattern cover......)


This challenge coincided nicely with Valentine's Day so I had something pink to wear out on Feb. 14.


The Challenge: Pink (ie make something pink!!)
Fabric: dusty rose rayon ($4/yd)
Pattern: Simplicity 3583
Year: 1940s war era
Notions: zipper ($2), vintage buttons ($3)
How historically accurate is it? Very. I used period construction techniques, period appropriate fabric and a period pattern. Not sure how old the buttons are but they are plastic and metal which is period appropriate
Hours to complete: 8ish- this was the dress that didn't want to get made....
First worn: Feb. 14th 2014
Total cost: $15


My hubby bought me some pretty blue diamond earrings as an early Vday present so I wanted to incorporate blue into the outfit. Enter pretty blue vintage buttons. And they matched my blue knitted bolero so well.


 I also accessorized with a great vintage fur hat that was a gift from my high school drama teacher.


 This dress fought me all the way. First, this fabric was the end of the roll and it had a few sticky bits from leftover tape. So there was a bit on the bodice back but I was just going to put it on the inside. Then when I ironed it and the goo seeped over to the right side. So I had to cut a new back piece.


Then I messed up grading the skirt and the waist ended up 6 inches too big. I hardly had to add any width at the hip and that should have been a tip off that something was wrong. So out with the seam ripper and scissors.


Lastly, I also cut out the cute little belt loops from version 2. But I top stitched them from the wrong side..... then I made the button hole from the wrong side. This was about 4pm on Friday so I just left them off. I may go back and add them in later but who knows.


Pardon the wrinkles. This was after a long (snowy) drive out to our church for dinner and a movie date night and then dinner and a movie.


But I really love how the final dress turned out so I'm glad I pushed through the problems.

9 comments:

  1. Super cute!! I love a dusty rose pink probably above all pinks and it suits you so well. And major brownie points for your hubby for sure! Diamonds are a girl's best friend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love, Love Love it, totally wearable!! Great job Stephanie!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's a really great dress! I love the style and how you added the blue bolero. It goes well!

    ReplyDelete
  4. How funny...we've done nearly the same project for this challenge, only mine isn't quite finished yet. I like the way the skirt is pleated, its such a great sort of vintage styling one doesn't see much anymore.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The dress turned out lovely! The collar is nice and crisp, and the blue complements the pink very well. I didn't have anything "pink" in my fabric stash so I decided to skip this challenge.

    On a side note, have you ever hear of the vintage/antique shop "Found Treasures 4 You"? It's in Dayton, Ohio, close to where you live I think. Anyways, they're going out of business and having a 30-40% off sale. My sisters and I are planning on going, and I just thought you would like to know. :) They have a Facebook page if you want to find out more.

    Brigid
    the Middle Sister and Singer

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I know them. I actually used to live quite close to them. I did know know that they are going out of business. :( I'll have to pop over sometime and shop before they close for good.

      Delete
  6. You look so "Pretty in Pink", this challenge is well done! :o)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lovely, and a great piece for accessorizing! :-)

    I'm sorry to hear about all the problems it gave you! :-/ Why do some projects just want to put up a fight at every turn??

    ReplyDelete
  8. Fantastic frock! I love this colour too, and when I think of the over all palette of the 40s, it's one of the very first shades that springs to mind.

    ♥ Jessica

    ReplyDelete