Monday, November 16, 2015

A Skirt Makeover: Florida Oranges

At the halfway point in my fall Project 333, I'm realizing that I need to get my butt in gear if I want to finish the rest of the refashions before the three months are over! So this weekend, I finished a refashion of one of my Pin Up Girl Clothing Jenny skirts.


The skirt features a super cute orange boarder print that I feel in love with when I first saw it! While I'm sure the designers had California in mind when they selected this print, I thought it would be just perfect for sunny Florida. Yummy!


The skirt is made out of a great stretch cotton but the fabric is really thick. In it's original state, this skirt was gathered instead of pleated. It had been pretty much gathered to the maximum allowed by the fabric. Kudos to PUG for not skimping on fabric but it meant taking in the skirt wasn't going to happen without removing some of the width or changing to pleats.


Plus, the skirt just never seemed as flattering on my figure as I thought it should be. Now I know that a slimmer skirt that is pleated is more flattering for me that a very full, gathered skirt.


And after I saw Lauren of American Duchess do just such a refashion on her orange Jenny skirt this summer, I knew mine would meet the same fate someday. And I'm so happy that I finally did it!


 Oh, I feel like this skirt is just so much more flattering now! You can check out the original skirt paired with this exact same top here.


I have another Jenny skirt that I can't wait to do the same makeover on. Must refashion all of the gathered skirts!


 Do you prefer a gathered or pleated skirt?

11 comments:

  1. I love pleated skirts! And this one looks delicious (and very Florida-appropriate!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I prefer pleated just from a laziness standpoint. It's sooo simple to pleat and I usually just eyeball it anyway. As opposed to all of the long basting stitches that you have to pull evenly (which never sets evenly for me) etc etc. Ugh. I've always found gathering a nightmare.

    That really is such a cute skirt -- so friendly and sunny!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hate gathering fabric! I often eyeball my pleats too especially on my historical pieces.

      Delete
  3. Looks great! I'm so glad it worked for you as well as it did for me. I'm not sure how the gals at PUG feel about us re-doing their skirts, but the prints are just too cute to sit in the closet.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I don't know how they feel about it but it's definitely going to get more wear now!

      Delete
  4. It's interesting to me that this skirt, though the fabric is awesome, is obviously just not as flattering right out of the package as both you and Lauren have ended up having to fix it! It is very cute now, good job fixing it to make it more wearable! I wish Pin up Girl Clothing made their border prints as circle skirts instead of the super full gathers, I have avoided buying them because I know gathered skirts are just not as flattering as circle skirts.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah but to do a border print circle skirt you have to specially print the fabric for it and it's very wasteful so that's probably why they don't do it.

      Delete
  5. Great refashioning! You are so talented! That really is such a fun print and it would have been a shame for sure if you couldn't have worn (often at least) it in a state that is famous the world over for its delicious oranges.

    Big hugs,
    ♥ Jessica

    ReplyDelete
  6. I still haven't made up my mind whether I prefer a pleated or gathered skirt...but I see that the change was for the better for you. The first images of the skirt, while still cute, kind of give a bulky feel, and the ones here are more sleek. Wonderful job!!

    xoxo
    -Janey

    ReplyDelete
  7. I much prefer a pleated skirt as well Stephanie! I think it's the way the thickness of the fabric lies when it's all gathered up ~ it's just too bulky for an area that doesn't need extra bulk or something! I do love how you've refashioned your skirt ~ it's very cute!! ❤

    xox,
    bonita of Lavender & Twill

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hello, Stephanie! The skirt is gorgeous! I love gathered skirts. I've several in the wardrobe. But I don't wear them too often. My hubby doesn't like them much. So.. I've to wear jeans all the time.
    All the best!
    Claudia from essaytoday.net

    ReplyDelete