Monday, December 7, 2015

It's Beginning to Look a Lot Like Christmas

Ah, Christmas! My favorite season is here! There's something quite magical about this time of the year. And I try to wear all of the Christmas themed outfits as much as possible between Thanksgiving and Christmas.


So when I had a few Christmas parties to go this weekend, I pulled out a green skirt and red sweater for an easy holiday look. While it's not the most obnoxiously festive outfit in my closet, it's definitely a pairing that I can't pull off for most of the year!


Recently, I added a few plain t-shirts to my wardrobe and I've been wearing them a lot. They are great, comfortable basics even if they are not period appropriate.


However, I can't help but think that if t-shirts like this would have been available in the 1940s, they would have been a staple in the wardrobes of hard working, make do and mend ladies. So I don't have a problem of including them in a 40s inspired look.


To add a bit more flair to the outfit, I went with red and green jewelry and, of course, red lipstick! Red lippy is a great way to make any outfit feel more retro.


I feel like I've really come full circle in my fashion. When I started this blog, I was all into war ear 40s fashions, but I ended up trying lots of other period-20s, 30s, early 40s, late 40s and 50s.


 I keep coming back to the classic 40s silhouette! It's so flattering on me! I didn't keep many of my 40s pieces in my Project 333 and I've been missing them. So I cheated a bit and pulled this skirt out early.


I'll be doing a Project 333 write up later this month, but while I feel like I could live on just a 33 piece wardrobe, I don't feel like I'm very good at picking out those pieces. I'm to easily distracted by what I want to wear now which may not be what I want to wear in 2-3 months.


 In other news, it's been unseasonably warm lately so I haven't really been able to dig into my fall pieces yet. Boo.

4 comments:

  1. I started Project 333 this summer, not long after you first posted about it (your post was the push I needed!) and I've found (after three rotations--I just started winter last week) that my 33 tends to fluctuate a bit throughout the three months. I've been losing weight, which has affected which pieces fit me, and also the weather has been in constant flux since mid-September, so what I need to suit the weather has changed a lot. My fall rotation was crazytown.

    What I found helpful (as I'm not being super strict about the 33--I don't count shoes or jewelry or accessories, but I do limit myself to three-four pairs of shoes), is to rotate a garment or two within the rotation, but keep the overall number fairly constant. So, for example, if the weather turned cold and I needed an extra sweater, I put it in my drawer, but took something else out and put it away. I keep my other rotations in soft-sided storage under my bed, so it is easily accessible, but not readily available.

    As for the 1940s, yes! I've found that too. The early 1930s is really my jam, but it is hard to pull off with four young children in a casual-dressing city. I still love the early to mid-1940s, and try for a more vintage-inspired look now (or something with vintage elements, like a novelty brooch, or victory rolls in my hair), rather than trying to recreate something specific.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I have added a few things to mine this go around but I still end up with a few things that don't get worn! I think I may just need to up my number to 40 or so. Plus the weather here has not chilled off like I was hoping so my more fall type pieces have not been as useful as I had hoped.

      Delete
  2. Me, too!!! My wardrobe gets dwindled down almost exclusively to red, green, gold, silver, burgundy, black and white during November and December. It's a warm, merry, fabulous palette that brings me joy.

    What a fun outfit! That skirt is so great on you!

    Happy holiday season, dear gal!
    ♥ Jessica

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the color blocking of this outfit! It's clean and chic but still festive!

    xoxo
    -Janey

    ReplyDelete